Steel Pan Jazz Virtuoso Leon Foster Thomas Releases “Calasanitus”
March 2023 marks the release of Calasanitus, the forthcoming album by Leon Foster Thomas. As one of the leading steel pan jazz virtuosos in the world, Foster has gained global recognition via a plethora of accolades including winning both the solo and duet competitions at the World Steelband Music Festival, as well as releasing a series of critically acclaimed albums, most recently Metamorphosis on respected label Ropadope Records.
Now he is set to showcase his inimitable talent once again, with a new body of recorded work that encapsulates the intricacy, energy and sonic brilliance that Leon Foster creates on his instrument of choice.
The new album Calasanitus, described as a book of songs dedicated to his dear mother, Hillouise Calasanitus Foster, showcases a unique blend of Caribbean influence and spirit evolving from Foster Trinidadian heritage, combined with dexterous and innovative jazz complexity. The compositions generate an unmistakable vibe born out of the traditions of the West Indies and seamlessly incorporate the discipline and sensibilities of modern jazz music alongside this. The result is a sound that is beautifully calming and vitally energetic in equal measure.
Speaking about the creative process behind Calasanitus, Foster says: “My goal for this album was to compose music that provokes thought by everyone who listens to it, and that they will appreciate music as art and not as a form of passive consumption. Each song was written with its own storyline that all, in some way, connect to my mother. The title, Calasanitus, is my mother’s middle name. Though it’s meaning was never shared nor could one be found, I felt this was the most appropriate title to represent this compilation. Most importantly, it was a name she loved. This has been on my mind for a very long time now and I couldn’t be happier to finally have the opportunity to record this special tribute. Hillouise Foster was diagnosed with cancer and sadly passed away June 9th 2007.”
Leon Foster clearly demonstrates his impressive prowess as a musician at the very top of his game. Calasanitus is destined to become one of the most important releases of 2023 and will set the highest standard for the year to come.
Independently Released on March 3, 2023.
About Leon Foster Thomas
Leon Foster Thomas has collaborated with legendary artists in the jazz scene and beyond such as Hugh Masekela, Randy Brecker, John Daversa, Sammy Figueroa, Vince Mandoza, Igor Butman, Doly Parton, John Beasley, Mino Cinelu, Etienne Charles, Richard Smallwood, Orphy Robinson, Cyril Neville, Kindred The Family Soul, Ky-Mani Marley and many more, performing at internationally renowned venues such as New York’s Jazz At Lincoln Centre, The Adrienne Arsht Center of the Performing Arts in Miami and Moscow’s International House Of Music. Foster Thomas also played a significant part in her majesty the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations in 2022.
- I am an Immigrant (feat. John Daversa) (6.26)
- Silent Maze (feat. Troy Roberts) (8.10)
- Bliss (feat. Magela Herrera) (8.00)
- Dance of David (feat. Antonia Wilson, Faith Lowe and Donald A. Lowe Jr) (7.19)
- Cheers (originally sung by Bunji Garlin) (6.21)
- Together (feat. Michael Ramos) (8.21)
- Ascension (8.44)
- Leon Foster Thomas – steel pan/percussion/vocals
- Troy Roberts – tenor/alto saxophone
- John Daversa – trumpet
- Tal Cohen – piano
- Michael Ramos – upright/electric bass
- Michael “Mike” Piolet – drums
- Magela Herrera – flute (track 3)
- Harvel Nakundi – drums (tracks 3, 4, 6)
- Antonia N. Wilson – vocals
- Faith Lowe – vocals
- Donald A. Lowe Jr. – vocals
- Recorded at: Mplus Media Group Studios Engineered by Waldy D., Hialeah, FL. and Pen to Platinum Studios, Engineered by Pete Wallace, Miami, FL
- Mixing & Mastering by: Dave Darlington, Bass Hit Recording, New York, NY.
- Photography: Janelle Chung
- Album Design: Darren English
- Produced by: Leon Thomas
- All songs composed by: Leon Thomas
- “Cheers” composed by Dwain O’brien Antrobus & Ian Alverez (STB MUSIC INC.)
- Published by: Leon Foster Thomas Music (ASCAP)
- Record Label: Krossover Jazz.
Content source: Dynamic Agency [UK]