Mundo: The World of Jane Bunnett
Mundo: The World of Jane Bunnett
To Be Released By EMI Canada On February 14, 2012
Double CD Retrospective Package Features 2 New Tracks
Toronto, Ontario – January 13, 2012 – There are many possible descriptions of Jane Bunnett: Composer/bandleader/multi-instrumentalist/educator/festival organizer. Order of Canada recipient, five-time Juno Award winner and multiple Grammy nominee. Internationally acclaimed artist with a recording career spanning 24 years.
Our preferred phrase is: fearless musical explorer. In tandem with her long-time partner in music and life, trumpeter/composer/producer Larry Cramer, the Toronto-based Bunnett has constantly sought out new musical terrain. That is confirmed vividly on the compelling new career retrospective, Mundo: The World Of Jane Bunnett, to be released on EMI Music Canada on February 14, 2012.
This collection comprises 25 cuts taken from 16 albums, recorded between 1989 and 2008. It also features two brand new numbers showing that Bunnett remains at the peak of her creative powers. “Gotcha” and “After Rain, Comes Sun” were recorded with fast-rising young Toronto ensemble Heavyweights Brass Band, with Telmary featured on vibrant vocals on “After Rain, Comes Sun.”
Bunnett has never felt constrained stylistically, and the result is a body of work that encompasses modern jazz, a rich variety of Cuban-rooted musical idioms, blues, classical, gospel, r ‘n b, and other world music forms.
MUNDO: The World of Jane Bunnett – track listing:
- Gotcha’ (New Track feat. Heavyweights Brass Band)
- Kalaidescope (Embracing Voices)
- Witchi Ti To (Red Dragonfly)
- For Merceditas (with Don Pullen) (New York Duets)
- Yo Siempre Oddara (Spirits of Havana)
- The Real Truth (The Water is Wide)
- El Diablo (Cuban Odyssey)
- New Orleans Under Water (Radio Guantanamo)
- Osain (Ritmo + Soul)
- Changui for Alfredo (Radio Guantanamo)
- Please Don’t Ever Leave Me (Doubletime/Duet with Paul Bley)
- Serenade To A Cuckoo (Water Is Wide)
- Chamalongo (Chamalongo)
- Sunshower (Alternate take)
- After Rain, Comes Sun (New track feat. Heavyweights Brass Band and Telmary)
- Joyful Noise (Ritmo + Soul)
- Alma de Santiago (video version) (Alma De Santiago)
- Rendezvous (Rendezvous/Brazil /Cuba)
- Don’s Light (Spirituals and Dedications)
- Son de la Loma (Cuban Piano Masters)
- Song for Argentina (Spirits of Havana)
- Amor Por Ti (Chamalongo)
- Donna Lee (Alma de Santiago)
- You Don’t Know What Love Is (Live at Sweet Basil)
- The River/El Rio (Ritmo + Soul)
Jane will be performing across the country this year to celebrate the release of this retrospective package, beginning with several shows in the Toronto area:
Thursday January 19 – Long & McQuade Performance Hall at Jazz FM
Listen Live at 91.1 FM or Jazz FM
Monday January 23 – FREE performance at the Appel Salon at the Toronto Reference Library with The Toronto Star’s John Teraud – 7:00 pm
Toronto Public Library Appel Salon
Friday January 27 – Hugh’s Room – with special guests Heavyweight’s Brass Band – 8:00 pm
Saturday January 28 – LULA Lounge – Salsa Dance Party with Son Aché
and special guest Jane Bunnett.
7:00 pm Intimate Dinner and Photo Exhibit with Jane Bunnett
9:00pm – 2:00 am – Dance lessons and show!
During a colourful and prolific career, Jane Bunnett’s sound and vision has earned her the respect of some giants in the world of jazz. She has collaborated extensively with such legends as Don Pullen, Dewey Redman, Sheila Jordan and Paul Bley, while jazz critics have hailed her virtuosity on soprano saxophone and flute. Bunnett has been the recipient of multiple awards in the prestigious Downbeat and Village Voice Critics’ Polls.
Mundo: The World Of Jane Bunnett is a retrospective look at a formidable career, but Bunnett remains an artist looking forward, not back. The two new tracks included here are eloquent testimony to that approach. Following Jane’s future creative endeavours will be a richly rewarding exercise.
Welcome to The World Of Jane Bunnett. You are in for a treat.
For more information, or to request an interview, please contact: