In 2023-24, the RCM will welcome artists from over 30 countries, including 15 artists making their Koerner Hall debut
Toronto [June 2023] – Dr. Peter Simon, Michael and Sonja Koerner President & CEO of The Royal Conservatory, Mervon Mehta, Executive Director of Performing Arts, and James Anagnoson, Dean of The Glenn Gould School, announced details of the events that will make up Koerner Hall’s 15th anniversary concert season.
Said Dr. Peter Simon, “As Koerner Hall celebrates its 15th season and my last as President & CEO of The Royal Conservatory, it is hard not to feel proud that what we set out to accomplish those many years ago, has come to fruition. We have brought both internationally acclaimed artists such as the Chicago Symphony Orchestra to this great city, as well as those who are just beginning to discover their artistry – and this upcoming season is no exception. The Royal Conservatory is deeply grateful to our generous donors, sponsors, and patrons who have supported our mission for developing human potential and who share our belief in the profoundly transformational power of music.”
Mervon Mehta said: “Since opening the hall in 2009 and over the 1,200 concerts presented, we have gone from the unknown ‘new kid on the block’ to being recognized internationally as one of the finest halls in the world. Artists such as Yo-Yo Ma, African superstar Youssou N’Dour, the iconic Buffy Sainte-Marie, television star Eric McCormack, and rising star Canadians like Bruce Liu and Jonelle Sills, sing the praises of the Hall’s acoustics. Even more importantly, they love the warmth they feel from our audience, one that truly listens. After three years of uncertainty, we are proud to bring you our greatest season yet – filled with superstars from classical, jazz, pop, and global music, as well as artists who we feel you need to hear. We are indebted to our subscribers and to our legion of donors who help us at every turn. I look forward to sharing many evenings together.”
Koerner Hall will continue streaming select performances on its video-on-demand platform, RoyalConservatory.Live, which means that Canadians as well as international audiences will have on-going access to the finest ‘live’ concert experiences.
Highlights of the 15th Anniversary Season include:
- The 2nd annual Concert to Commemorate the National Day of Truth & Reconciliation event will be hosted by spoken word artist Zoey Roy and will include a smudge ceremony outside the TELUS Centre, and a new commission by JUNO award-nominated composer Andrew Balfour with special guest Andrew McAnsh (trumpet).
- After the triumphant return of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra to Toronto for the first time since 1914, the International Orchestra Series (previously announced and currently on sale) continues with Staatskapelle Berlin with Daniel Barenboim (watch Maestro Barenboim’s episode of the RCM’s Music of My Life series) and The Philadelphia Orchestra with Yannick Nézet-Séguin.
- This year’s Global Music concert series sees the return of Ladysmith Black Mambazo for the third time, Anoushka Shankar for her fifth time, plus KUNÉ (Canada’s global orchestra formed in 2016 by the RCM) teams up with Jesse Cook and Meesha Shafi – both of whom are making their Koerner Hall debut as is Sona Jobarteh, Africa’s first female griot kora player, who is appearing with her mentor, Taj Mahal.
- The Quiet Please, There’s a Lady on Stage concert series celebrates extraordinary female voices and features a double-bill with Rhiannon Giddens and Adia Victoria, the legendary Mavis Staples returns for her fourth time, while Stacey Kent makes her Koerner Hall debut with her trio.
- Music Mix concerts include Steven Page with friends Craig Northey and Kevin Fox (watch Steven Page’s episode of the RCM’s Music of My Life series), a double-bill with Raul Midón and Grammy award-winner Alex Cuba, and a special holiday concert with Holly Cole, one of Canada’s premier song stylists.
- The Jazz series (previously announced and currently on sale) includes performances by inaugural RCM Jazz-Artist-in-Residence, Robi Botos and friends, seven-time Grammy award-winner Terence Blanchard and his E-Collective are joined by the Turtle Island Quartet, and making her Koerner Hall debut is Samara Joy, the 2023 Grammy award Best New Artist of the Year winner.
- This season’s 21C Music Festival spans from January to May and includes the Kronos Quartet celebrating five decades of sound, Turkish pianist Fazil Sayand friends including RCM alumna Beste Kalender, Brad Mehldau playing new works commissioned by The Royal Conservatory, cultural icon Laurie Anderson, and more.
- This season’s Classical Music concert series (previously announced and currently on sale) include piano concerts, vocal concerts, string and chamber music concerts, as well as performances by the talented students of The Royal Conservatory’s Glenn Gould School – both the Royal Conservatory Orchestra, part of the Temerty Orchestral Program and which makes its Carnegie Hall debut this season, and the Price Opera program. Highlights include performances by superstars of the classical music world including Sir András Schiff, Richard Goode, RCM alumna Angela Hewitt, Hilary Hahn (just announced), the return of the Los Angeles Master Chorale staged by Peter Sellars, and Koerner Hall debuts by pianists Igor Levit and Mahani Teave, by the Brentano String Quartet, and by vocalist Ema Nikolovska, an alumna of The Royal Conservatory.
15th Anniversary Season tickets on sale beginning June 23, 2023 at 10AM (unless previously announced) with new subscriptions on sale beginning June 16, 2023 at 10AM.
Avishai Cohen & Abraham Rodríguez Jr: Iroko
In Conversation with Ángel “Papote” Alvarado: Desde Ponce a Nueva York
Gerry López: No Way Back
Pianist, Composer Olivia Pérez-Collellmir Releases Debut Album: “Olivia”
Jorge Luis Pacheco: The Lockdown Album
De Ponce A Nueva York: Ángel “Papote” Alvarado y el Grupo Esencia
Vistel Brothers: Fiesta en el Batey
Christmas Classic “Asalto Navideño Vol. II” Gets New Vinyl Reissue
Bobby Sanabria Multiverse Big Band: Vox Humana
Arturo O’Farrill, Omar Sosa and Etienne Charles Bring Latin Jazz to the DC JazzFest
Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal Present “They Shot the Piano Player” at TIFF 2023
The Latin Side of Jazz · Episode 33
Juan García-Herreros – The Snow Owl: Normas
Raphael Cruz Reaffirms His Commitment To Latin Jazz!
Edy Martínez, the Music Architect Behind the Piano
Rubén Blades con Roberto Delgado & Orquesta · Son de Panamá
Celebrating Emiliano Salvador and his Musical Legacy
Cubano Be, Cubano Bop: A Memorable Night in Toronto with Poncho Sánchez
A Conversation with Percussionist, Bandleader Poncho Sanchez
The Odyssey of Anat Cohen
Paquito D’Rivera & Quinteto Cimarrón: Aires Tropicales
Have You Seen My Nana? The Enduring Genius of Moacir Santos
Enrique Rodríguez: Enriquito – Me Quito El Sombrero
Roberto López Afro-Colombian Jazz Orchestra: Azul
Most Read in 2023
Featured Albums7 months ago
Aymée Nuviola feat. Kemuel Roig: Havana Nocturne
News9 months ago
Bobby Sanabria MULTIVERSE Big Band to release new recording: “Vox Humana”
Album Reviews9 months ago
Ella & The Bossa Beat: In the Moment
News8 months ago
Wilson “Chembo” Corniel Releases New Album: “Artistas, Músicos y Poetas”