Aruán Ortiz Releases New Album: “Serranías”
Aruán Ortiz, acclaimed as a piano cubist, excellent jazz improviser and wayward stylist who strays far from Cuban music while remaining so deeply rooted in Cuba’s musical tradition, presents an impressive trio album with two congenial collaborators Brad Jones and John Betsch. Cuban influences from toques, rumba and Afro-Haitian music blend with European art music and modern jazz. “Serranías is a special album for a double anniversary: the 20th anniversary of the recording debut as a leader in the United States and the 50th birthday milestone of Aruán Ortiz, a pianist-composer from Santiago de Cuba who has become an undisputed protagonist of the New York avant-garde jazz scene thanks to the original processes of abstract Cuban creative crossfertilization that he composes with unusual Afro-Cuban/Haitian accents,” writes Gian Franco Grilli in the liner notes.
Aruán Ortiz: Piano; Brad Jones: Bass; John Betsch: Drums
- All songs written and arranged by Aruán Ortiz (NaurazitroMusic/ASCAP), except “Shaw ’Nuff (Siento un bombo)” by Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker, arranged by Aruán Ortiz and “Los tres golpes” by Ignacio Cervantes, arranged by Aruán Ortiz.
- Recorded September 18, 19, 2022, at Hardstudios, Winterthur by Michael Brändli.
- Mixed September 20, 2022, by Michael Brändli, Aruán Ortiz, Florian Keller at Hardstudios Winterthur.
- Mastered in January 2023 by Michael Brändli at Hardstudios Winterthur.
- Cover art: Julio Girona.
- Graphic design: Jonas Schoder.
- Liner notes: Gian Franco Grilli.
- Photos: Palma Fiacco.
- Produced by Aruán Ortiz and Intakt Records.
- Published by Intakt Records.
- Released March 17, 2023.
Most Read in 2023
Featured Albums2 months ago
Aymée Nuviola feat. Kemuel Roig: Havana Nocturne
News4 months ago
Bobby Sanabria MULTIVERSE Big Band to release new recording: “Vox Humana”
News4 months ago
Grammy Nominated Jane Bunnett and Maqueque to release new recording: ‘Playing With Fire’
Playlists3 months ago
The Latin Side of Jazz · Episode 27