“Hilario Durán is an unparalleled pianist, as well as being a composer and arranger of the first order… one of the greatest Cuban pianists of the 20th century”. — Chucho Valdés
Hilario Duran And His Latin Jazz Big Band will perform a free concert at the Toronto Star Stage at Nathan Phillips Square on Thursday, June 27 at 12:30 pm.
Cuban Canadian Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Bandleader and Educator Hilario Durán is one of the world’s most innovative creators of Afro Cuban music & Latin Jazz. Hilario Durán is ranked among the greats, as one of the most important contemporary Cuban pianists and arrangers today. In 2005, Hilario formed his explosive Big Band Orchestra with top Canadian and Cuban musicians in Toronto. The album, “From The Heart”, featuring Paquito D’Rivera, was nominated for a Grammy in 2007, and won a Contemporary Jazz Album of the Year Juno Award.
· Two JUNO Award 2010 nominations for the Hilario Durán Trio album “Motion” (Alma/Universal Records). Best Contemporary Jazz album of the Year & Recording Engineer of the Year. Named #1 Latin Jazz Best Recording of 2010 by Latin Jazz Network.
· Grammy nomination in 2007 for his Latin Jazz Big Band album, “From The Heart”, (Alma/Universal Records) featuring Paquito D’Rivera and Horacio “El Negro” Hernandez. Juno Award Winner (Canadian Grammy equivalent) “Contemporary Jazz Album of the Year”.
· Won two JUNO and over a dozen National Jazz Awards in Canada.
· Honoured with prestigious 2007 Chico O’Farrill lifetime achievement award in Miami for his outstanding contributions to Afro-Cuban jazz and Latin Jazz. Awarded “Premio EGREM” for Best Arranger of the Year 1982-83—one of Cuba’s most prestigious music prizes.
· Performed with Cuba’s legendary “Orquesta Cubana de Música Moderna”. Invited by former leader Chucho Valdés to replace him as pianist when he started the famous group Irakere.
· Arranger, pianist, musical director with Arturo Sandoval for nine years, touring worldwide. Performed with “greats” Dizzy Gillespie, Michel Legrand, among many others.
· Performed with and studied composition and arranging at Amadeo Roldan conservatory and under the musical directors of some of Havana’s great cabaret and theatre orchestras.
· Created extensive library of original compositions/arrangements.
· Adjunct piano professor and ensemble director in jazz faculty at Humber College, Toronto, Ontario.
· Born 1953, Havana, Cuba. Immigrated in 1998 to Toronto, Canada. Named one of the 10 most influential Hispanic Canadians in 2009.
Miguel de Armas: Miguel de Armas and The Ottawa Latin Jazz Orchestra
Django Festival Allstars with special guest Edmar Castañeda Featuring Dorado Schmitt and sons Samson & Amati
Christian McBride’s New Jawn at Koerner Hall: Concert Review
Papo Vázquez Holiday Jazz & Latin Jazz Parranda with The Mighty Pirates Troubadours
Donald Vega: As I Travel
“They Shot The Piano Player” Screening At The Village East in New York And The Royal in Los Angeles
Una Navidad Nuyorkina: Celebrating 40 Years of Los Pleneros de la 21
The Latin Side of Jazz Episode 35
Sebastian Schunke: Existential Intensities
NPR’s A Jazz Piano Christmas with Melvis Santa, Alfredo Rodríguez and Hilario Durán
Gonzalo Rubalcaba: Borrowed Roses
Tito Puente and his Latin Ensemble: Mambo Diablo on Vinyl
Juan García-Herreros – The Snow Owl: Normas
Raphael Cruz Reaffirms His Commitment To Latin Jazz!
Edy Martínez, the Music Architect Behind the Piano
Rubén Blades con Roberto Delgado & Orquesta · Son de Panamá
Celebrating Emiliano Salvador and his Musical Legacy
Cubano Be, Cubano Bop: A Memorable Night in Toronto with Poncho Sánchez
A Conversation with Percussionist, Bandleader Poncho Sanchez
The Odyssey of Anat Cohen
Paquito D’Rivera & Quinteto Cimarrón: Aires Tropicales
Have You Seen My Nana? The Enduring Genius of Moacir Santos
Enrique Rodríguez: Enriquito – Me Quito El Sombrero
Roberto López Afro-Colombian Jazz Orchestra: Azul
Most Read in 2023
Featured Albums8 months ago
Aymée Nuviola feat. Kemuel Roig: Havana Nocturne
News9 months ago
Wilson “Chembo” Corniel Releases New Album: “Artistas, Músicos y Poetas”
News9 months ago
Aymée Nuviola To Release New Latin Jazz Album: “Havana Nocturne”
Events8 months ago
Tito Puente and Tito Rodriguez Centennial Celebration