Jane Bunnett & Maqueque: Tour Calendar
Five-time Juno Award winner, Jane Bunnett has turned her bands and recordings into showcases for the finest musical talent from Canada, the US, and Cuba. She has been nominated for three Grammy Awards, received The Order of Canada, The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal, and, most recently, The Premier’s Award for Excellence.
With Maqueque, Bunnett has created something new and phenomenal in the world of jazz. What started out five years ago as a project to record and mentor young brilliant Cuban female musicians, has become one of the top groups on the North American jazz scene. Since 2015, they have played in major jazz festivals like Newport and Monterey, been featured on NPR’s program Jazz Night in America, won a Juno Award for their first album, Jane Bunnett and Maqueque, were nominated for a Grammy Award for their second release, Oddara and were nominated for a Juno Award for their latest release, On Firm Ground/Tierra Firme. Most recently, were voted as one the top ten jazz groups by the prestigious DownBeat magazine’s critics poll.
2022 US AND CANADA TOUR CALENDAR
- February 25/26 – Chris’ Jazz Cafe – Philadelphia PA
- February 27 – Charlottesville Jazz Society – Unity (Church) of Charlottesville, VA
- February 28 – Residency at Charlottesville (Workshop at Albemarle High School tentative)
- March 1 – School presentation at Clark Elementary School – Charlottesville, VA
- March 2 – School presentation at Jackson Via Elementary School – Charlottesville, VA
- March 3/4 – Epiphany Center for the Arts – Chicago, IL
- March 5 – The Jazz Kitchen – Indianapolis, IN
- March 10 – Jimmy’s Jazz & Blues Club – Portsmouth, NH
- March 11 – Scullers Jazz Club – Boston, MA
- March 12 – The Side Door Jazz Club – Old Lyme, CT
- March 15 to 19 – Birdland Jazz Club – New York, NY
- May 13 – Juneau Jazz & Classics Spring Fest – Centennial Hall Convention Center – Juneau, AK
- May 14 – Victoria Jazz Society – British Columbia, Canada
- May 15 – The Triple Door – Seattle, WA
- May 16 – Kuumbwa Jazz Center – Santa Cruz, CA
- May 18 – Just Jazz Live Concert Series – Los Angeles, CA
- May 19 to 21 – The 1905 Jazz Club – Portland, OR
- May 22 – Bach Dancing & Dynamite Society – Half Moon Bay, CA
An internationally acclaimed musician, Bunnett is known for her creative integrity, improvisational daring, and courageous artistry. Her exploration of Afro-Cuban melodies expresses the universality of music, and her ability to embrace and showcase the rhythms and culture of Cuba has been ground-breaking. She has toured the world bringing her own special sound to numerous jazz festivals, displaying her versatility as a flutist, saxophone player, and pianist.
Two documentaries have been made about Bunnett’s work: Spirits of Havana by the National Film Board was presented at numerous film festivals internationally, on television (CBC, PBS), and in Europe. A more recent film, Embracing Voices, has been shown at film festivals and is awaiting commercial release.
As an educator, spokesperson, and social activist, JANE remains unafraid to explore uncharted territory in her quest for excellence.
Maqueque are: Jane Bunnett, soprano saxophone & flute; Joanna Tendai Majoko, vocals; Mary Paz, congas & vocals; Dánae Olano, piano; Tailin Marrero, acoustic & electric bass; Yissy García, drums.